Search

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Give me the wine of transformation




Ghazal 1912 from the Compendium of Shams, 

This reminds us of Hafez, who born in 1325 knew of , studied and was probably 
Inspired by Rumi, (1207-1275) even though some scholars rarely acknowledge .


بیا ساقی می ما را بگردان
Come on Saghi pass us our wine
بدان می این قضاها را بگردان
Change our destiny through that wine
قضا خواهی که از بالا بگردد
My friend if you want to change your destiny here
شراب پاک بالا را بگردان
You need to get some if that pure celestial wine from above
زمینی خود که باشد با غبارش
If a field is content to be with dusts 
زمین و چرخ و دریا را بگردان
Then transform the field, the sky with winds and the ocean itself 
نیندیشم دگر زین خورده سودا
I'm no longer going to bogged down in trivial petty dealings of day to day life
بیا دریای سودا را بگردان
Instead let's churn and transform the ocean of dealings
اگر من محرم ساغر نباشم
If I am not the confidant of the wine cup
مرا لا گیر و الا را بگردان
Then don't even consider me 
Transform everything else but me
اگر کژ رفت این دلها ز مستی
And if this drunk heart goes astray
دل بیدست و بیپا را بگردان
Then give me that pure heart, who knows nothing of hands that try to do too much and feet that hurry to go to unimportant places 
شرابی ده که اندر جا نگنجم
Give me then a wine of sorts 
Drinking it I won't be confined here any longer
چو فرمودی مرا جا را بگردان
As you have commanded me my Master
I will Transform my place 



No comments: