Search

Friday, June 12, 2009

Ode 1045 : Don't make me wait any longer

Ode 1045 : Saghi be Quick! I can't Wait Any Longer

======================================

For the next round, give me from that other cup of wine

which will sooth my inner self forevermore

Seeing me like this, I swear,

you’ll believe that I just can’t wait anymore

If [you think ] I deserve a grain of your mercy,

don’t make me wait any longer

Set me free, set me free- free!

For I have badly fallen into that other trap

If you close the house door on me now;

I’ll climb to roof and try to get in

Don’t leave me at the mercy of thoughts;

Thoughts are all-consuming, bloodthirsty creatures

Saghi, if you don’t bring another round of raw wine;

These hundred raw ones will continue to annoy me

Even if I already have a loan to bear, quick!

take this mantle and I need another loan!

1 comment:

Charles upton said...

Sufi-Dari Books

(An imprint of Sophia Perennis)

Announces the Publication of

The Quatrains of Rumi

(Beginning of Marketing Campaign: May 20, 2009):



Rubâ‘iyât-é

Jalâluddîn Muhammad Balkhî-Rumî

ISBN 978-1-59731-450-3; $25.95, £19.50



Translated by

Ibrâhîm W. Gamard

and

A. G. Rawân Farhâdî



COMPLETE TRANSLATION WITH PERSIAN TEXT,

ISLAMIC MYSTICAL COMMENTARY,

MANUAL OF TERMS, AND CONCORDANCE



The first complete English translation of the Quatrains -- over 700 pages -- based on the Persian of the original, complete, and uncorrupt Forûzânfar edition –

translated with close attention to Rumi’s idiomatic usage,

with the collaboration of scholar from Afghanistan,

whose native Persian remains close to Rumi’s own



The “version-makers” of the poetry of Jalâluddîn Rumî have helped to make him perhaps today’s most popular poet in the English language.

But they have not served his intended meaning with equal zeal,

often portraying him as a “universal” mystic who had somehow “transcended” Islam, even though his celebrated Mathnavi has been called “the Qur’an in the Persian tongue.” Ibrâhîm W. Gamard

and A. G. Rawân Farhâdi have labored to set the record straight,

and to demonstrate that Mawlana’s universality is inseparable

from his Islam -- from the depth of his Islam.



For more information, contact Sufi-Dari Books/ Sophia Perennis at:

jameswetmore@mac.com

or info@sophiaperennis.com