Search

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Reading on the night of Dec 17th, 2008

We had a reading at the University Library to commemorate the passage of Rumi, on the night of Dec 17th. We also started the Rumi Returns series which will be reading out the book that I am translating.

The program was as follows:

Introduction to Rumi
His Life and Times -- Significant milestones, meeting Shams, his master
Dec 17th – His Passage – Fanaa fe’Allah
Celebrating his life
Eid e Ghadir -- Ali
Starting Rumi Returns series
Masnavi
The Tale of the Reed Flute

Book of Shams
O You Lovers – the audience, who are lovers of Rumi
Little by little – you come into the refined attention you need
You soul is so close to mine – now that you can hear, hear this:
I am the moon -- now you can understand what Rumi is saying when he says...
How should I know? -- Once he is one with the Divine and the Divine is calling him, he responds...

Note the sequence is designed to prepare the listener to first become a "Lover"
of the divine, then as a Lover, they come closer and closer to the "garden" the place of Truth. Then they are so close to their innermost Self that they know what their Friend is thinking; I am so close to you, I know your every thought". Once you are so close, you can then see that you are the Moon and in the Place of Noplace. And finally with being one with the Divine being so powerful, it changes ones world and shifts one's consciousness, to the extent that when in a beautiful dialog with the Beloved, Rumi responds, in total surrender, with "How would I know? How should I know? How can I Know? "; you are asking me questions that are intellectual, I have given up my intellect and mind and ego to be one with you -- "How would I know why?"

Masnavi
The Tale of the Lion and the Rabbit , Part 1
story: The Animals and the Lion enter an agreement
concepts: Tavvakkol vs Jahd (Trust and Faith in Providence vs. Action, Means and Trying)
concepts: The superiority we gain through Knowledge
concepts: Keeping your plans a secret

No comments: